Meg’s Makeup Travel Essentials
For Everygirl’s Suitcase and in any Case
My typical makeup routine is pretty simple. At least I would like to think so. I mean, I wore clear mascara until my junior year of high school, so suffice it to say, I live by the words of Rebecca Donaldson-Katsopolis. (Yes, that’s right. My first lesson on makeup came straight out of Full House).
“The secret to wearing makeup is to make it look like you’re not wearing any.”
– Aunt Becky
A quick rundown of my typical beauty and makeup routine consists of this:
- Shower – (you can see a couple of my favorites here).
- Moisturize – Neutrogena Naturals has been my go-to for almost two years! It smells great, and isn’t oily. Aveeno for the body, always. After I let this set, I…
- Prime – Smashbox Photo Finish Primer is heaven sent. A pea size to cover under eyes and around the nose goes a long way. I apply more all over for special occasions.
- Paint – Chanel foundation is my absolute favorite. Light, velvety coverage lets my skin breathe. And it’s the perfect combination of dewy and matte. Don’t use a beauty blender with this one! The directions specifically state. Next, dab and pat Maybelline concealer under eyes. TIP: Use your ring finger since it’s the most delicate. Add a bit of Champagne Pop highlighter to the tops of your cheekbones, length of your nose, and cupid’s bow for a lil’ extra glow.
- Primp – Before I blow dry, I always spritz my Bumble and Bumble Invisible Oil in first. Comb the bottom ends of your hair before anything to avoid knots. Then, I dry and either straighten, or use a curling iron for loose curls.
After dating Ricky long distance, I learned pretty quickly how to pack my beauty essentials. There’s nothing sadder than a brand new Naked palette found in bits and pieces inside your suitcase. At first I bought baggies, and tubes, containers, and bottles to hold all of my travel products. Not long after, I became frustrated with bottles because I never could get the last drops out of them, or worse, I buried them under my bathroom sink after coming home. I quickly came to realize travel-sized items are actually the more cost-effective choice. Plus…
Travel-sized items are less expensive than full-sized products, which allows you to try new things before you fully commit.
So, I began testing out new products in smaller form, then found a few that really stuck. Nowadays, I won’t enter another hotel room until I have my makeup and beauty travel essentials. As I’ve mentioned before, my Bumble and Bumble Invisible Oil is a keeper! I keep the smaller bottle and fill it up when I’m about to board a plane or stay somewhere overnight. There’s no need to suffer from knots, and this heat-protectant really does make my locks softer!
Next up, Smashbox Photo Finish Primer.
I think of primer as insurance for my foundation. When I’m tempted to forgo this purchase or skip out on it in my morning routine, I remember that this saves me money in the long run because I’m getting a longer wear and don’t need to reapply my foundation. Smashbox’s formula is delicate, yet long-lasting, and I’ve never known it to clog my pores or send me into break outs.
The painting portion of my routine would not be complete without good brushes.
I have a couple nicer, more expensive brushes that have really helped me nail that whole gel eyeliner thing, but this Eco Tools brush and this Elf brush are staples because they’re soft, clean easy, and are so affordable! (Although this is marketed as beauty blender cleaner, I tap and swirl my brushes in it every other week to keep them clean too).
My NARS blush/bronzer duo works double duty.
Small and compact, I appreciate the secure close this little thing has!
And last but never least, I go no where – and I mean no where, without my ZENNI optical glasses.
I mean, why would I? I’d be walking into walls without them! For under $20, you can purchase my favorite pair here. (TIP: Just be sure to have a current Rx). The black frames draw attention away from my dark circles on days when I’m too tired to put makeup on.
I hope you’ll enjoy these products as much as I do. They’ve made traveling so much less stressful! So what are some beauty products you swear by? I’d love to know, leave a comment below!